Monday, July 9, 2012

The Day of My Birth +20

It's my birthday!!! I'm excited to be another year older. I look forward to birthdays. I always will! Age is a state of mind. I will never dread being another year older. Life is a journey, I desire to embrace every stage, not only the years I'm young.

So, what did I do today? Well, last week I came down with mono. Bummer, I know. Obviously, this knocked me out for a few days, but I'm on the mend. I am feeling really good today! My mom took me out to Saugatuck. It's the cutest little town right off of Lake Michigan. I had never been there before. Naturally, it was a pure delight.

Here it is on a map! The little town of Saugatuck. 


I woke up this morning to a homemade hot breakfast! Mom made one of her special breakfast casserole dishes. It had blueberries and cream cheese! YUM!! Plus there was a bag of Ghiradelli dark chocolate with a card. If that's not a good start to a morning, I don't know what is!



In Saugatuck we visited several random shops and boutiques. My favorite was an old bookstore located above the town bank. An old couple owned the business. They looked like characters straight out of fiction! The woman had kinky, wild, grey hair with a gypsy style of dress. The husband rang up our purchase. His wrinkles, age spots, uncommon face structure, antique glasses, and grandpa-style clothing gave him that other-worldly kind of intensity you only see in movies or read about in books. The bookshop itself was a work of art! I took pictures with my phone, but alas,  I've had trouble downloading them (my phone and I have a very love-hate relationship). Anyway, I've decided I'm in love with old book stores. I love books and I love old things. A combination of both? Yeah, I'm definitely in love. Mom bought a book by one of my favorite authors, C.S. Lewis: The Screwtape Letters. I read it in high school, but never had a copy of my own (DEFINITELY recommend this book!). She also bought a lovely crocheted headband for me at another store we visited. 

Thanks Mom! You know how to make a girl feel special. :)    

2 comments:

  1. Hey Danae, Happy belated birthday to you! That bookshop with the strange and interesting couple sounds awesome - I love little places like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's a bookstore very similar to the one I visited yesterday by my university in Ann Arbor, MI. Ironically, it has the same unique old-man-business-owner. Haha. It's great.

      Delete