Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Recent Discovery

I know this is a writing blog, but it's also a blog about me. I am a health fanatic. I love all things healthy. Therefore, I'm going to share a recipe I came across that is and will forever be a personal lifelong favorite.

That being said, I'm a fan of Pinterest and the array of images, ideas, thougths, and delicious recipes it provides me. Here's my page: http://pinterest.com/danaedracht/.

Especially in these glorious, less-busy days of summer, I try to be proactive in my search to try new things. Here is my most recent discovery inspired by Pinterest:

Clean Ice Cream: 
bananas+peanut butter+cocoa
The less ingredients contained in our food, the better our digestive system is able to utilize the nutrients, and the faster our metabolism is, and the healthier we are (I'm a cross-country runner, this stuff matters to me)!

Therefore, when you look on the "Ingredients" label on your food packages, the smaller the list of contents, the better! Just a healthy tip.

Here's the simple recipe for the delicious ice cream:
1. 3 Ripe bananas - they're easier to mash when they're squishy!
2. 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter - or more, it doesn't really matter (I love peanut butter)
3. 2-3 tsp. of cocoa - natural and unsweetened
*Note: all of these measurements can and should be changed according to personal preference.


So, what do you do? 
It's simple. First, in a medium-sized bowl, mash the bananas. The recipe from Pinterest would have you first cut up the bananas into tiny slices and blend them with beaters. However, I simply un-pealed them and mashed them by hand with a potato masher. I like my ice cream chunky, but it's delicious either way I'm sure.
Second, add the peanut butter and cocoa. Stir it all together until it's mixed well. 
Third, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the freezer. I left mine in overnight, however, I don't think it takes that long to freeze. Maybe 3-4 hours.
Fourth, take out of freezer and serve. I let mine thaw for 10-15 minutes because it was pretty hard. When it softens up, it has the exact same texture as ice cream, without all the mysterious processed ingredients! 

This ice cream has that lip-smacking, melt-in-your-mouth, irresistible kind of taste. And the best part? You can eat it for breakfast! It's that good for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment